Why is the car overheating when air conditioner on?
Causes of engine overheating due to AC
Imagine that you are driving on a hot summer day with the a / C on, but suddenly the engine of your car starts to overheat. As a result, you not only have to turn off the air conditioner, but perhaps you will be forced to turn on the stove (heated cabin), to stop the growth of coolant temperature. Not only that, you will go in a hot salon, you also risk seriously damaging the engine. Unfortunately, after you “boil”, is not recommended to turn off the engine to reduce the risk of damage to internal components of the power unit. So some time you have to wait until running the engine a bit to cool down. But why like often happens in many cars? And often, when the air conditioning? Let’s face it.
Why is the car heated?
There are several reasons for which your car’s engine overheats with the a / C on. Here are the most likely reasons are:
- The ineffective functioning of the cooling system is one of the most common causes that lead to overheating of the motor. Thus, engine overheating can be due to a coolant leak in the radiator, the expansion tank, the pipe in the stove. In this case, when depressurization of the system you need to constantly refill the cooling system antifreeze or water (unless, of course, damage to the engine cooling system is not critical). Also cause overheating of the motor can be old coolant. For example, if you have not changed the antifreeze for 2-3 years, then its properties will be lost. In this case, better replace the old coolant with the new. Including inspect the radiator. If you would see a lot of dried mud or debris, it can also be a cause of engine overheating. In this case, you must flush the radiator, guiding the washing hose in his ribs. Please note that when flushing the radiator the water pressure in the hose should not be maximum. Otherwise you risk pognon radiator, incapacitate him. If the surface of the radiator are too many cells damaged or you find rust, then it’s time to buy a new radiator.
- Very often the car overheats when you’re moving at low speeds or when the engine is idling (e.g., when a long time standing in the heat in the place) and flat. This may be due to the lack of air flow through the radiator. But it does not mean that the radiator is clogged. Because the car is worth, and through him it can not pass the flow of air. When the machine is idle, automatically activates the engine cooling fan, which helps the engine stay within operating temperature. As a result, if your car starts to warm up at idle (especially when the air conditioner), it is quite possible, failed cooling fan, or its relay, or the clutch.
What to do?
- Sometimes engine overheating is due to the fact that the refrigerant charged into the air conditioning, is simply not suitable for your car. This usually happens after the next refueling compressor refrigerant not of that particular type that should be used in your car. Also the motor can warm up and because of a banal lack of freon in the air conditioning system. In this case, depending on the problem or fill the air the correct freon or refrigerant refill to the maximum.
It is worth noting that if your car was flooded with the wrong type of freon or not enough in the system, when the air conditioner into the cabin is insufficient to provide cold air. So if your air conditioner has ceased normally to cool down the cabin and the engine began to warm, is the main sign that your air conditioning system is something wrong with the freon.
- Air lock in the cooling system of air can also cause growth the engine temperature while driving with the air conditioner. The thing is that the air tube prevents the normal circulation of the coolant. In the end, inside the system formed an incorrect pressure, which slows down the circulation rate of the antifreeze. This leads to the fact that the heat from the motor is not given properly.
- Another problem which often leads to overheating of the engine, – is an insufficient level of antifreeze in the cooling system. That is why it is so important to periodically check the coolant level and refill it to the maximum level if necessary. We also recommend you to change the antifreeze every 2-3 years depending on the intensity of use and the weather conditions in winter and summer. For example, if the car often standing in traffic jams in hot, dry summers, it is recommended to change the antifreeze every 2 years. The same applies to harsh winters.
- Malfunction of the thermostat could also be the probable cause of the engine overheating when the car is standing still or moving at normal speed. That is why it is important to use only high-quality original thermostat. In any case, do not skimp by buying dubious quality aftermarket thermostats. You risk overheating your car. Which can lead to engine damage.
Including overheating can happen when faulty radiator cap, which usually has a special valve spring that helps to flush the cooling system excess pressure generated by the heat of the antifreeze.
If you are faced with the problem of overheating the engine while driving, for a start, pull yourself together and don’t panic. Panic can actually lead to stupid things. As soon as you saw that the temperature coolant sensor on the clean-up went up, immediately reduce speed and at the first opportunity, stop the car. Further, in no case keep the engine running. Otherwise it will lead to rapid changes in engine temperature, which is fraught with enormous challenges. So, stop the machine with the engine running, turn off the air conditioner and turn on cabin heating at full capacity. So you can cool boiling antifreeze. Then get out of the car and let it run with the heater for a few minutes. Only then can you turn off the motor.
Now your task is to establish the cause of engine overheating. To do this, use the signs that we have described. Fortunately most of the causes that can lead to overheating of the car, easy to handle on the spot. If you can not remove the cause of overheating, then it is time to contact the technical centre for diagnostics and repair of the vehicle. It is advisable to call in this case a tow truck.
To avoid problems with the engine overheating, there are many Golden rules, in particular the use of the correct coolant for a particular model of car (all cars use different types of coolant, which differ in color and properties). If you buy concentrated coolant, it must be remembered that to dilute it only with distilled water. You also need to regularly monitor the condition of the thermostat, radiator, pipes, which circulates antifreeze, as well as the state of conditioning, holding its annual scheduled maintenance.
And, of course, don’t forget about regular planned maintenance of the whole car, in which should be sure to look around all the major systems. This will allow you to promptly detect any possible problems and eliminate them on time. Otherwise, small problems, which you close your eyes, sooner or later it will become a more global, which in turn will drain your wallet. Remember that in any car all of a system relate to each other. In the end, a failed one system can cause serious damage to the other.