Here the hardships prototype of a new helmet for Formula 1 cars
Helmets F1 experience air guns, hammers and shells
The helmets of Formula 1 should be tougher than a steak in a God-forsaken eatery, stronger soles canvas boots, they should be unkillable. That’s probably why so much fun and at the same time it is surprising to observe the numerous experiments on protection for the head of the pilots F1.
No, of course “helmet” pilots from the Formula also can be destroyed, but it will have to make a serious amount of effort:
To achieve similar results, the developers of protective equipment has to work properly. At the moment the development in the field of protection of the head of Formula 1 was presented on Wednesday this week.
The FIA (international automobile Federation), the governing body standing over dozens of F1 and other international racing series, announced Wednesday that the 2019 racing “Royal” series will introduce a new obligatory type of helmet and soon it will be required in other leagues.
The Federation explained that she was working with several manufacturers of helmets to create a new standard of protection, “including advanced ballistic protection system, improved absorption system energy and extended area protection for the drivers.” Now these companies should make the production version of autoslalom for the next season.
Here is a new prototype helmet
To meet these standards, the helmet had to pass through a series of thorough mechanical inspections of equipment, cargo, dropped from heights, and in fact firearms. Here is an exhaustive list of all tests that were conducted on a new type of helmet that the FIA would allow it to use in the car racing competitions in the following season:
Standard shot: a shot of the helmet at speed 9.5 m / s Peak deceleration in the “driver’s head” must not exceed 275G.
Low – speed shot: a shot of the helmet when the speed of the object is not more than 6 m / s Peak deceleration should not exceed 200G at a maximum average value of 180 gr.
– Side impact at low speed: the impact of the object in the helmet at speed 8.5 m / s Peak deceleration must not exceed 275G.
– Improved ballistic protection: a metal shell with a weight of 225 gr. released at a speed of 250 km / h crashed into the helmet. The maximum deceleration must not exceed 275G.
– Test “fragmentation”: objek weighing 10 kg falls from a height of 5.1 meters on a helmet. The lateral and longitudinal test. The transmitted power must not exceed 10 kN.
– The “penetration protection”: impactor mass of 4 kg falls on the helmet with a speed of 7.7 m / s.
– Penetration through the visor: when fired from an air rifle 1.2 g bullet should not penetrate the visor and inside the helmet.
– Quality assurance cover sun visor: the vision of the race track, in the helmet should not be distorted.
– Retention system: dynamic testing when you roll to determine the strength of the locking strap and related parts.
– Linear blow to the chin protection: impact on speed of 5.5 m / s. the Maximum deceleration must not exceed 275G.
– Rastrelivali strike of the hammer to the chin protection. Tests the ability of the helmet to keep the strike, causing no injuries to the pilot’s head.
– The mechanical strength of the FHR (Frontal Head Restraints) anchorage points front head restraints: calibrated for their maximum strength
Projection and surface friction: the test is performed in order to calculate and ensure consistency of shape and surface friction of the helmet. It should be minimal.
The surface of the helmet is also subjected to the BARCOL hardness measurement to calculate the resistance to penetration.
– Flammability: the helmet is heated to 790° in the flames. The surface shall self-extinguish once removed from the source of open fire.
Hammers, rapidly moving projectiles, weights, an air rifle and the flame approaching the melting point of silver, that sounds like torture for the innocent hats. But the only way they can become better and to protect pilots.